Easy Pies to Make with your Children: At Little Sunshine’s Playhouse & Preschool, National Pie Day one of our most favorite holidays to celebrate. There are pies for all kinds and every occasion– apple, chocolate, no-bake, creamy, ones with topping, sugar-free, birthdays, holidays, and just-because-it’s-Tuesday pies. We hope you get to celebrate by eating your favorite pie. Here are a few recipes that are so easy your children can help you make them. This is a great way to spend time together and share a learning opportunity. Cooking can help children with reading and math by reading and measuring ingredients. Enjoy!
Easy Apple Pie
70 mins: Prep 20 mins, Cook 50 mins
Yield: 8 servings
By Stephanie Gallagher, posted on The Spruce
SG: “This apple pie recipe is easy because it starts with pre-made refrigerated pie crusts. I like Golden Delicious apples for this recipe, but you can certainly use Rome Beauties, Granny Smiths or Jonagolds. Since the pie crust is already taken care of, your kids will enjoy preparing the filling and mixing ingredients together. Start with refrigerating the pie crusts and by peeling the apples. Once apples are peeled, aim for moon-shaped slices with a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Smaller pieces of fruit tend to cook more quickly, but also lose more liquid, so don’t cut them too thin or too small.
Next, get to separating the yolk from the egg and use a silicone pastry brush to brush the unfolded pie crusts with egg whites — this will help keep the crust dry and flaky. Once the pie has baked, allow ample time to cool so that the filling can “set”. The rule of thumb is that fruit pies should cool at least four hours before slicing, since hot pie filling straight from the oven is usually runny. As your pie cools, the pectin molecules of the apples interact with one another, resulting in a delicious gel-like filling.”
What You’ll Need
2 refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg white
8 large Golden Delicious apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For gluten- and sugar-free apple pie check out this recipe!
How to Make it
01. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
02. Unfold one of the pie crusts into a 9-inch pie plate. Brush with egg white (this prevents the crust from getting soggy). Let the egg white dry while you prepare the filling.
03. Toss apples with remaining ingredients. Place apples closely together into prepared crust.
04. Unfold the second prepared pie crust over the apples, tucking the excess under the bottom crust. Now crimp the edges with your fingers.
05. Cut 3-4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush the top of the crust with any remaining egg whites (optional).
06. Cover the pie loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil.
07. Bake 10 minutes. Remove the foil, lower the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake another 30-40 minutes.
08. Once finished baking, set pie aside to cool.
09. Once cool, slice pie and serve with a glass of milk (or better yet, a scoop of vanilla ice cream!)
White Chocolate No-Bake Cheesecake Pie
Ready in 10 mins
Yields 8 servings
By MizzNezz, posted at Genius Kitchen
What You’ll Need
1 cup white chocolate chips
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 9-inch graham cracker crust
1/3 cup toffee pieces (or other topping of your choice)
How to Make it
01. Melt the chocolate chips slowly in the microwave, stirring often until smooth
02. Stir in cream cheese until smooth.
03. Fold in whipped topping.
04. Pour into crust.
05. Cover and chill until set (about 4-5 hours).
06. Sprinkle with topping.