If you’re wondering whether you should invest in your child’s future through early childhood education, the answer is yes.
Once you understand the importance of early education, it’s time to choose a preschool program that meets your child’s needs.
Here are some common questions surrounding the topic of early childhood education:
Q: What are the different types of early childhood education?
A: There are two main routes parents might choose to take when it comes to early childhood education.
Some parents decide to homeschool or join a co-op with other parents and children, while others enroll their child in a preschool.
In addition, most preschools have a specific learning philosophy.
For example, Reggio Emilia is one common education philosophy, which inspires the proprietary Creatively Shine™ curriculum at Little Sunshine’s Playhouse & Preschool®. This Italian philosophy aims to foster children’s curiosity and creativity to help them cultivate a lifelong passion for learning and exploration.
When touring facilities, be sure to ask about the learning philosophy and do your research.
Q: How will preschool prepare my child for kindergarten?
A: A quality preschool will help your child learn the academic skills necessary to give them a successful start to kindergarten.
Look for a defined curriculum with structured lesson plans. Teachers should select a variety age-appropriate activities that encourage cognitive, social, emotional and physical development.
- Basic math skills like counting and recognizing numbers
- Recognizing letters, reading and writing
- Learning how to describe observations or tell a simple story
- Drawing, coloring and creating visual art assignments
Some preschools also include additional enrichment activities like dance, soccer, yoga, foreign language, sign language, music and computer skills.
Hands-on learning experiences, both indoors and out, encourage preschoolers to interact with their peers, which promote social and emotional development.
- Working collaboratively with others
- Creative problem solving
- Communicating one’s feelings appropriately
Q: How will early childhood education help my child in later years?
A: The benefits of early childhood education extend to more than just your child’s preschool years.
- One recent study found that preschool increases high school graduation rates by 11 percent.
- Another study revealed that children who attended preschool had significantly lower discipline referrals in elementary school and scored higher on math and reading tests.
Are you looking for a preschool that values the importance of early childhood education?
Find a Little Sunshine’s Playhouse near you and contact us today! We believe nourishing children’s wonder and curiosity to help create lifelong learners.