Preschoolers are simply curious. This celery experiment is a wonderful STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) activity for young children that teaches them about how water absorbs in to plants.
Quick tip: If you have school-aged children this would be a great writing and drawing assignment. Ask them to write about the process and results and draw a picture of what they see.
- 2 – 3 Celery stocks
- Food coloring in colors of your choice
- 2 – 3 Cups
- Cut ends of celery stock
- Fill cups halfway with water
- Add several drops of food coloring into each cup
- Place celery stock into each glass
- Put off to the side and observe changes each day
- Take pictures each day
- Have older children write about the results at home